Today, with the internet competing for attention in a fast-paced digital world, website hacking is becoming more and more common says Brian C Jensen. How to handle website hacking is an important thing to know for business owners or webmasters who find their websites hacked or compromised.
Hackers are continually looking for security vulnerabilities on websites that allow them unauthorized access to the site. Once inside this can include changing content, adding spammy links, redirecting traffic to malicious sites, stealing sensitive information such as passwords.
It’s important that if you notice suspicious activity on your website then you must take action immediately by following the steps outlined below.
1) Remove all malware/spyware files from the System Restore folder so they do not re-infect the website upon reboot of your PC.
2) Check that all installed applications are up to date with any critical patches released by the vendor says, Brian C Jensen. It’s a good idea to do this on a regular basis anyway as it also helps protect against new threats which may come out after the application is installed.
3) Remove any orphaned/inappropriate shortcuts from your desktops and browser homepages. These can be added by hackers as part of their attack strategy as they fail to close down correctly allowing them to re-launch on the next reboot of the computer. Shortcuts should not have mysterious names or have .lnk at the end of them – these will indicate that they are shortcuts and should be removed immediately.
4) If Namebench has found that your IP address is dynamic (i.e. you are connecting to the internet via an ADSL modem or similar) then it would be wise to switch this for a static IP address. This means that if one IP address is compromised by hackers then they will not be able to re-connect to your computer using the same method.
5) Turn off AutoPlay so that any new devices connected to your computer are not automatically executed. Without first being “vetted” by yourself – e.g. Memory sticks, DVDs, etc should all have their AutoPlay functions turned OFF as this could lead to malware being installed on your PC.
6) The following link contains further information about website hacking. And some useful tips on how you can avoid your website being hacked:
Also, if you want to read more about why your website needs security software. Then check out this article that explains Brian C Jensen.
7) If your site is hosted on a shared/VPS server, it’s a good idea to look at using a firewall. This will help protect all the other sites on that server from any potential damage. That could be caused by the hacking of one site.
Nowadays everyone is talking about Internet Marketing and how hard it is. But if you have been doing it for some time now you will know that it can be a very rewarding experience.
Here are some FAQs recently asked by our visitors:
How long does it take to make money on the internet?
It can take some people months before they start seeing any real results from their efforts. However, you need to invest some time and effort into your online business. If you want to get the most from it says Brian C Jensen. It’s not a get-rich-quick scheme that’s for sure!
What is affiliate marketing?
You have probably heard of affiliate marketing or been asked to join an affiliate program. But may know what this actually means. Affiliate marketing is basically where you are rewarded with commissions for promoting other people’s products or services via your website. This will earn the owner revenue which in turn makes you money too.
What are niche websites?
When starting out online it can be a good idea to create a website. That is specific to a particular topic. This can help you build up a loyal audience and help focus your efforts on the areas you know about. Rather than being distracted by all sorts of different topics. Choose something that really interests you so it’s easier to blog about it too!
What are CPA networks?
CPA stands for “cost per action” which means you get paid when someone completes an action. Such as signing up for a newsletter, filling out a form, etc. These types of programs tend to offer better quality traffic. But usually, slightly less quantity compared with PPC (pay per click) ads – see below.
Do I need hosting and domains to make money online?
Without internet hosting and domain names website creation is not really viable. Luckily, these things do not cost too much and make for a cheap start-up investment compared with many physical businesses.
Depending on the type of CPA network you are joining there can be pros and cons says, Brian C Jensen. For example, some may provide very little traffic. But payout well whilst others might be more generous with their free offers. But only send low-paying “junk” traffic to your site! PPC (pay per click) advertising will also generally attract higher-quality targeted visitors. Who are more likely to take the action you want them to do online whereas CPM (cost per thousand impressions) campaigns can work out cheaper. But don’t normally convert as well as CPC campaigns.